MemorandumTo: Employee(s), Student Teacher(s), and Substitute(s)
Re: Background Checks [Fingerprinting Law]
Date: January, 31, 2018
In September 2013, Governor Patrick signed into law, Chapter 77 of the Acts of 2013, “An Act Relative to Background Checks.” This new law expands on what we as public schools already do with Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) checks. Specifically, it requires a fingerprint-based state and national criminal record check for all school employees.
The State Applicant Fingerprint Identification System (SAFIS) MorphoTrust USA-IndentGo, operated by IDEMIA, has been created for implementing this system. Currently, MorphoTrust has two sites to collect fingerprints in our area Choice1Temps 131 Main Street Webster and Country Club Plaza 490 Lincoln Street/Unit 6 Worcester. (additional locations listed on-line)
All new employees are subject to the fingerprint based checks
On our website at, www.baypath.net under “The School” tab, in the dropdown menu click on “District Information” then SAFIS Info and you will find this memo, information on How to Change, Correct or Update your National Criminal History Record Response and the Statewide Applicant Fingerprint Identification Services (SAFIS) Program Registration Guide for Pre-K-12th Grade Education (ESE).
- Register for appointment online at http://www.identogo.com/FP/Massachusetts.aspxby selecting Digital Fingerprints [schedule a new appointment] or by phone at (866) 349-8130.
- You will be required to provide the Southern Worcester County Regional Vocational School District’s ESE Organization Code: 08760000
- Unlike state CORI checks that have no associated fee, individuals will pay a fee to comply with this requirement $35.00 for non-licensed employees and $55.00 for DESE Licensed Professionals (including those with pending applications/licenses).
- Substitutes are school employees under the new law and, therefore, must submit their fingerprints for the state and national checks. If substitute teachers hold educator licenses issued under G.L. c.71, § 38G, they will pay the $55 fee; otherwise, they will pay the $35.00 fee.
- When you have completed your fingerprinting, you will be provided with a fingerprint receipt, a copy of this receipt must be returned to Sue Foskett in the Superintendent’s Office and will be confirmation that the fingerprints were captured. This receipt includes an OBTN number, so that your results may be tracked if they are completed but not received by the district.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.